Thursday 13 September 2012

2000 leagues under the sea

The dive school here on Chaaya, ‘Dive & Sail’, kitted me up with a standard set of equipment, bar a wet suit, as the water temperature here means you can skin dive with no issues, and Tony the instructor took another diver and myself out to an underwater pinnacle called Ashaa as our dive this afternoon.

What can I say? Having only dived the UK previously I had no real idea what I would find under the surface, but it was amazing. The water was so clear you could see about 10 metres in all directions, and the top of the pinnacle was covered in so many different kinds of coral and fish as to be impossible to focus on any one thing! I spent the first 10 minutes or so sorting out my buoyancy and the camera and trying not to get too close to the coral and all manner of other things until I had it all under control and relaxed.

The pinnacle had everything you could want on a first dive here: it was clear, the water at the deepest point (23 metres) was still 29 degrees centigrade, which was lovely! And the fish...

Moray Eel

All obligingly happy to pose whilst you drifted past. Of course I didn’t and was happy trying to make sure I didn’t sink or float too fast past them, but you get the picture (as hopefully did I!)

Clown Fish

I took way too many photos, and have posted only a few of the better ones here, but you can see the variety…

Lion Fish

I need to adjust the camera to use the flash I think, as there’s way too much blue in these, but I had so much fun taking them…

Parrot Fish

Suz meanwhile was topside reading and enjoying the view of the turtle that we’d gone down to try and find/follow! I’m hooked though, so I’ve signed up for two more trips tomorrow morning! Let’s see if tomorrow brings some Manta Rays!

No comments:

Post a Comment